Re: Matrix IRC bridge considered harmful

On 12/02/2020 19.30, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
Personally, I think native Matrix would be a *lot* nicer than IRC, if we
have sysadmin time to get it set up, but I'm not going to be picky here.
I'd just like us to be able to trust that we're not missing important
messages.

I have reservations if deploying and maintaining fourth chat solution is
the best use of sysadmin time just because there are people who dislike
browser-based service which is functionally IRC, sans federation which
we don't really want.

I see mentions of Modular.im, but we strongly insist on self-hosting
services, even if vendor offers a hosted service for free. There's
always a concern that one day such sponsorship will end, leaving us in
an unpleasant situation and prospect of rushed migration elsewhere. I'm
pretty sure the more experienced half of sysadmin team can bring more
reasons why.

Bart