Re: Matrix IRC bridge considered harmful

On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 7:31 PM Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro gnome org> wrote:
Hi,

Hi,

I just got an email from a new-ish contributor: "I sent you some PMs
about a week ago but I think you weren't online when I sent them so I'm
assuming you didn't receive anything." Problem is the Matrix IRC bridge
presents all IRC users as online, even when they're not.

Not immediately relevant to the issue but would help me as I’m a bit
confused: weren’t *you* on Matrix rather than IRC?

If an IRC user
is offline, it lets you send private messages, but they get *silently
dropped*. From Matrix, it appears as if the message was successfully
delivered, but it was never actually sent to IRC.

I’m pretty sure one gets at least a notification in the GIMPNet IRC
Bridge status conversation that goes along the lines of:

Received an error on irc.gimp.org: err_nosuchnick
["AlexandreFranke","someircnick","No such nick/channel"]

At least I did a couple weeks ago when I tried to send a message to an
IRC user. I would then agree that it is far from ideal, but it would
also clearly not as dramatic as you paint it.

Personally, I think native Matrix would be a *lot* nicer than IRC, if
we have sysadmin time to get it set up, but I'm not going to be picky
here. I'd just like us to be able to trust that we're not missing
important messages.

The Matrix folks offered to host our instance on
[Modular](https://modular.im/) just like they already do for KDE and
now Mozilla too[1], so sysadmin time is not a problem, is it?

[1] they just switched, details at
https://discourse.mozilla.org/t/synchronous-messaging-at-mozilla-the-decision/50620

--
Alexandre Franke