Re: I believe we should reconsider our sys-tray removal

I am an end user.   I was an avid Gnome user for the past 10 years, until 3.28.  Then I had enough. Gnome's changes have driven me to use KDE.

I will accept performance improvements, bot not improvements that take away convenience.  Want me back? I just find that Gnome does not publish a roadmap of intentions for the public, and that means, Gnome does not get user feedback, except as rant or rave.

My own experience is closer to rant, than rave, particularly when extensions are broken, with no advice to developers as to what they have to change in their extension to meet Gnome's whimsical moving target.

Regards

 Leslie
Leslie Satenstein
Montréal Québec, Canada

On Monday, March 25, 2019, 9:38:56 a.m. EDT, Alexandre Franke <afranke gnome org> wrote:

On Sat, Mar 23, 2019 at 7:07 PM Britt Yazel <bwyazel gnome org> wrote:
> I want to re-poen an old argument now that we have seen the effects of
> removing the sys-tray/app-indicator tray for well over a year. In short, the
> users are not happy.

*Some* users. Please refrain from making such dubious claims when
there is no data to support it. Even “most people I talk to” is
unreliable, as for every person that complains about it there are 9.7
users who don’t.

I am a user and I am happy about the change.

> I believe our goals of putting pressure on application
> developers to ditch the antiquated app-indicator model fell mostly on deaf
> ears, and not having the sys-tray icons is mostly a nuisance for people, and
> big pain point for many.

None of the apps I use seem to have a problem with the lack of
systray, and it’s clear that 15 years ago some of them would have had
an icon there (e.g. Music, Fractal). This has had a positive impact on
my daily experience and I am thankful for GNOME to be behind this
push.

> Our users (myself included) and our software partners (Ubuntu, System76,
> Purism) have reverted to using extensions to return this behavior.

Again, *some* users. Count me as one of those who don’t.

> we have forced our users to fragment themselves between many solutions,

I don’t feel forced.

> An example of this biting us in the arse is that with 3.32
> TopIcons is causing the CPU usage to run through the roof, and people are
> blaming the Shell for the CPU usage, not the extension, leaving our users
> with a bad taste in their mouths.

That is indeed an issue, I acknowledge this. It doesn’t mean the
premise of this email is correct.

> So to sum up, most users who I talk to on social media and in person are
> using many different 3rd party solutions for sys-tray icons, and this
> fragmented approach is hurting our image, annoying our users, and is
> fragmenting our user experience to the point of actual detriment. I think we
> need to re-evaluate a solution for 3.34, and that this should be a focus this
> cycle. I believe that there is an elegant solution to handling sys-tray icons
> without sacrificing our core goals, one idea being to incorporate it into the
> Dash. However, I don't think we should go forward into 3.34+ without a 1st
> party solutions in place for how to treat sys-tray icons, because (sadly)
> they're not going anywhere.

Please consider how unnecessarily pushy this sounds.

--
Alexandre Franke
GNOME Hacker