Re: GNOME Online Accounts 3.34 won't have documents support

On Sun, Jan 27, 2019, at 11:14, mcatanzaro gnome org wrote:
Err... well this seems like as good a time as any to mention it: Philip
and I both noticed emails from Google warning that they'll shut us down
unless we do a huge amount of work in a very short amount of time.
Neither of us plan to work on this. My only use of the Google
integration is for Safe Browsing, which doesn't use
gnome-online-accounts at all and which I'm just hoping won't be
affected.

If anyone wants to help, see
https://gitlab.gnome.org/Infrastructure/ansible/issues/2. We have three
weeks left.

Ooof. A while back I excitedly integrated GOA support for Google Drive into the deja-dup backup program,
using the gvfs backend to handle the actual file access.

I totally understand the difficulty GNOME is in here, and I'm not expecting you folks to do work that you
don't have the time for. I don't have the time to maintain GNOME's Google support either, so no shade thrown
by me. But it sure is a bummer. And a lesson to me about relying on GNOME's platform.

So it seems that for apps like mine which had supported Google accounts through GOA, the next steps would be
to register their own OAuth developer account with Google and write their own custom access backend to
replace the generic gvfs one? Ideally within the next three weeks and then backporting the change for all
existing stable releases in the wild before users hit errors from the GNOME key being revoked.

I understand the party line in this thread to be that I should have already been doing that and never should
have used GNOME's code in the first place. Fair enough. I misunderstood GNOME's stance on that. Maybe libgoa
should have you define -DGOA_API_YES_I_AM_A_CORE_GNOME_APP to help prevent this misunderstanding in the
future.

Well, thank you to the folks that did work on Google integration. I appreciate it, and the feature was good
while it lasted.