Re: GNOME Online Accounts 3.34 won't have documents support

On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 at 17:55, <mcatanzaro gnome org> wrote:
On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 9:03 AM, Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>
wrote:
> It is what is happening in GNOME Online Accounts in general. Pocket is
> disabled in Fedora 29, and there's a good chance that the mail
> configuration bits will be disabled in Fedora 30.
>
> I don't know whether those changes will also be done upstream, but the
> result will be the same, it won't be possible for applications shipped
> through Flatpak to know that certain configuration options will be
> available in GNOME Online Accounts.

Thing is, we don't have any email apps in core. It just doesn't make
sense to have email settings in gnome-online-accounts when none of the
core apps (the apps installed by default) actually use those settings.
It's just going to confuse users with settings that don't do anything.

I don't really have strong opinions on the future of
gnome-online-accounts, but unless there are major design changes along
the lines that have been suggested in this thread, then yes, I would
certainly advise against using it outside of the core apps.

This position is fundamentally at odds with the statement that we should move towards containerised (flatpak/snap) core apps.

If the system service that provides single-sign-on for web services is not stable—i.e. it can drop capabilities across minor releases—then we cannot tell people to use Photos, Music, or whatever else as flatpaks/snaps.

Again, this is fine if we *explicitly* say that people can only use core GNOME apps as part of the system; since we've been saying something else entirely, we cannot use the fig leaf of "users will be confused" because I can guarantee you that users will be much more confused (and angrier) if they install an application, update the OS, and suddenly the application won't work any more, which is something we *explicitly* said would not happen.

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.