Re: GNOME Online Accounts 3.34 won't have documents support

Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> wrote:
GNOME apps are not, and were never the only consumers of the gnome-
online-accounts capabilities,

There's been a rather big grey area around Online Accounts. The UX was
always designed as a system service, for use by the core apps, but we
never enforced this, partly because we haven't had sandboxing in the
past.

Of course, if we're taking app isolation seriously then we obviously
ought to limit access to online accounts. The grey area has to be made
black and white.

and, correct me if I'm wrong, but the
only problems we had with applications doing something that wasn't
liked in the past were in *platform* components, not even in core
applications.

It's important that we have the ability to correct problems when they
do happen. To me that implies that only our software should use our
keys.

Flip it on its head and please suggest why, nowadays, any application
developer, whether for a GNOME application or a third-party, would
spend time integrating services into gnome-online-accounts, or using
gnome-online-accounts for functionality that's somewhat core to the
application experience, when the rug can be pulled from under your app
at any point?

That's not what's happening here. Until very recently, Debarshi was
the Documents maintainer, and he's obviously been fully involved.

Allan