Re: GNOME Online Accounts 3.34 won't have documents support

On Wed, 2019-01-23 at 12:25 +0000, Allan Day wrote:
Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com> wrote:
This approach isn't new, and you can read more detail here:
https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GnomeOnlineAccounts/Goals

I know the rationale. I never particularly agreed with it, because
it felt like an ex post rationalisation about not having third
party modules, and getting people to commit functionality upstream.

I don't think that was the reason. At least, it's not what's been on
my mind, and I don't remember others putting that view forward.

The main factor has always been about how we handle identity. If we
give online accounts access to 3rd party apps, we're giving them
access to the GNOME keys. They appear as "GNOME" to online providers
and their access is bundled up with our own. As a result, we lose the
ability to ensure that the GNOME keys are being used in accordance
with providers' terms and conditions.

From a design perspective that's never been something we've wanted to
do, both from a branding and identity perspective, as well as from a
"oh shit we can't access Google any more, because some random app did
something they didn't like".

GNOME apps are not, and were never the only consumers of the gnome-
online-accounts capabilities, and, correct me if I'm wrong, but the
only problems we had with applications doing something that wasn't
liked in the past were in *platform* components, not even in core
applications.

What I'm objecting to is the wishy-washy approach of telling
people: "Sure, you can keep working on Documents, it's just not
going to be installed any more" without telling the whole story.

If Documents is removed, then all the Documents integration within
GNOME is also removed, which means that the project *in its current
incarnation* should just be archived. People should be encouraged
to fork it, if they find it useful, and implement that integration
inside Documents itself. This gives the proper context and
communicates the proper expectations to people willing to maintain
the Documents code base.

If you think something can be done better, just suggest how it can be
done better.

Flip it on its head and please suggest why, nowadays, any application
developer, whether for a GNOME application or a third-party, would
spend time integrating services into gnome-online-accounts, or using
gnome-online-accounts for functionality that's somewhat core to the
application experience, when the rug can be pulled from under your app
at any point?