Re: Proposal: Replace all references to master/slave in GNOME modules

On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 20:33, Ask Hjorth Larsen via desktop-devel-list <desktop-devel-list gnome org> wrote:

0) It is problematic to work with hundreds of projects when they do
not use the same branch name (translators like myself), but this time
we want to make it consistent, so ...

Hence this is proposing to make the change project-wide.

1) Changing branch name for all the projects in GNOME will take time,
some projects might lack maintainers and so on.  Many people are
involved.  It won't become consistent easily, and meanwhile we only
lose time.  I.e.: See point 0).

When we decide to do this, it will be effectively instantaneous. A shell script on the server will be able to create the new branch, replace the old branch with a symbolic reference for backwards compatibility, and update Gitlab.

People with existing checkouts can continue working as-is. When they next fetch a repo, the new branch name will be downloaded, which they can start switching to as time and headspace permits.

2) Tomorrow some other word will fall out of grace and we will again
have to take care not to offend anyone at any price.

This is the slippery slope argument, and as has been pointed out several times already on this thread is invalid.

3) This only happens because we are touching on US sensibilities.

This is simply false. As an Australian, I would support replacing terms that carry strong negative connotations for the first peoples here, likewise for Armenian people, or Rohingya people, or any others who have been or are being persecuted.

//Mike

--
⊨ Michael Gratton, Percept Wrangler.
⚙ <http://mjog.vee.net/>