Re: Check your default window size!

On 20 March 2018 at 17:35, Ernestas Kulik <ernestask gnome org> wrote:
On Tue, 2018-03-20 at 18:29 +0100, Alexandre Franke wrote:

> Somewhat related, since not too long ago (I’d say 3.26, maybe 3.24)
> Nautilus randomly forgets it’s size and will open a very small window
> (with the sidebar displayed, the content area fits slightly less than
> a row in height and than 2 icons in width).

Hmm, we’ve actually received reports of a different issue - restoring
window *position* in multi-head environments was unreliable. I’ve fixed
it up a little, but removed that feature altogether from the
development branch. Any issues with restoring sizes are unexpected and
I’d appreciate a ticket. :)

Restoring the window position should never be left to applications — first and foremost because, on Wayland, you don't have access to the global coordinate space, so you cannot position your windows anyway. Even the sizing is kind of problematic, because the window manager is, ultimately, the one with the complete view of the constraints applied to a top-level window, so the toolkit (and applications) can only do so much.

We're still lacking a good way to handle session and application lifetime, including restoring window position, size, and state for each application top-level window. I've been working a bit on a design, but will probably take a bit of time, and will definitely need some discussion with the Shell and Wayland developers, as it'll need some additional protocol extension to allow the compositor and toolkit to know which window is which, in an application.

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.