Re: Let's kill gnome-common!

Emmanuele Bassi wrote:

I do not want to steal the thread, but when talking about ports to
Meson, would it make sense to finally fix the infrastructure to work
with other than automake files too [1]? It's when generating the
content for developer.|help.gnome.org. Considering that plenty of
projects already use Meson, either exclusively or as an alternative for
autotools scripts, then it would be a good idea, from my point of view.
I'd help myself there, but I do no speak pythonish. I guess someone
with the knowledge would have that fixed relatively quickly.

Work is in progress to let maintainers upload tarballs with the
generate API reference for developer.gnome.org; I assume
help.gnome.org would follow the same pattern — but of course we only
have one Frederic, so help is indeed welcome.

Actually help.gnome.org is different and easier as the mallard files
can be converted to HTML without a full build environment (contrary to
gtk-doc); a plan is laid out in bugzilla (#785522) and should be quite
simple for anybody with some Python experience:

  https://git.gnome.org/browse/library-web/tree/src/lgo.py#n700 should
  be updated to detect other cases, like looking for "set(HELPID" in
  CMakeLists.txt files, or help_files in meson.build.

  Then https://git.gnome.org/browse/library-web/tree/src/modtypes/mallard.py#n240
  should be changed to get the list of mallard files from those
  CMakeLists.txt/meson.build files. (alternatively it could just take
  pages and figures and list of languages looking at the filesystem but
  then it may fail with pages/languages that are present in git but not
  supposed to be used).

        Frederic