Re: Proposal to deploy GitLab on gnome.org

On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 11:00 AM, Milan Crha <mcrha redhat com> wrote:
On Thu, 2017-05-18 at 15:12 -0500, mcatanzaro gnome org wrote:
I think we should remove this extension immediately.

        Hi,
that sounds quite radical, does it not?

Removing everything what has bugs, instead of fixing them, what would
you ship to your users?

It provides limited value, since you almost always want to skip
through the pretty little trace to see the full backtrace anyway.

Different people, different usages. What you do not use maybe others
do. I see many regressions in the recent changes in GNOME bugzilla
which simply break my workflow with it, built and fine-tuned during
many years of using it, but nobody cares. They know better what I
should do and how, it seems.

And this confusing bug is very serious.

Hmm, did you hit that bug yourself? I did not. I see it's filled since
2015, with 18 CC'ed users. That's not a low number, but there had been
filled thousands of backtraces during that time, with no problem so far
(I believe so at least, I do not have exact numbers, thus if anyone can
correct my expectations, then I'm all fine).
        Bye,
        Milan

+1: I am supportive of the initiative.

After catching up with the discussion, my personal pros and cons are:

Pros:
- reviewing patches is significantly clearer in gitlab
- code browsing is better than cgit
- gitlab snippets introduce a bit more flexibility than pastebin
- easy to publish new repositories with toy/new projects

Cons:
- not a big fan of the merge-request workflow
- we will have a bunch of useless forks across the users' accounts

In terms of issue/bug tracking, I am more concern about the migration
itself. I would initially use gitlab to replace cgit and pastebin, and
keep bugzilla as the bug tracker for a little while (not introducing
new components/modules on bugzilla anymore, pointing at gitlab).

One common thing I do with git-bz is interactively applying patches.
Is there a clear 101 workflow for this kind of review with gitlab?