Re: Relicensing Nautilus to GPLv3+

Hello,

After asking some authors of the current code that we have as GPL3+ inside nautilus, and pondering for a while, I realized the practicity of moving away from that code or convince those authors to relicense as GPL2+ is more a burden than the real benefit.

The only problem that arises if Nautilus becomes GPL3+ as per yesteday discussion in IRC at #gnome-hackers is that extensions that are GPL2-only cannot be used anymore.
Keep in mind GPL2+ are fine.

Said this, I took a look at extensions which are not retired from distros and that have seen a release in at least the last 3 years. So far they are:
nautilus-dropbox - GPL3+
nautilus-image-converter - GPL2+
nautilus-pastebin - GPL2+
nautilus-python - GPL2+
nautilus-search-tool - GPL2+
nautilus-sendto - GPL2+
nautilus-terminal - GPL2+

Which is completely fine.

Now, there is an issue with Totem plugin for Nautilus which adds a custom page to the properties page, since Totem is GPL2+ with a special clause for propietary gstreamer plugins.
However, that was already an unnoticed issue.
I don't want to get much deeper into all of this, given that being unnoticed for so long time probably means in practicity it doesn't matter much.
We will work on a workaround for this though, making this feature available through DBUS where this doesn't apply.

Given this, we will continue to our plan to relicense Nautilus project to GPL3+ next week if nothing serious gets noticed.

Best regards,
Carlos Soriano