Re: Proposal to deploy GitLab on gnome.org

On Tue, 2017-05-16 at 10:51 -0400, Shaun McCance wrote:
That said, here's a potential pain point: in Bugzilla, you can have
different components auto-assign to different accounts, and we made
these @gnome.bugs fake accounts for teams. The docs team uses this to
make it easy to follow docs bugs across products. I don't think GitLab
has any sense of components, preferring the more casual labels for
categorization.

When all that overcategorization in a ticket (Bugzilla: 1 "product" per
ticket, 1 "component" per ticket, 0-∞ "keywords" per ticket, random
freetext in a "whiteboard" entry, upstream's "tags" fields that GNOME
hides via custom CSS) is turned into a single "Labels" field, with 0-∞
labels associated to a ticket, and everybody tries to remember adding
that #user-docs label, and if a GitLab user can receive notifications
for certain labels (so docs team members could follow activity), I
don't see a real problem? :)

Our "@gnome.bugs virtual assignee" setup in Bugzilla is a horrible
hack, due to unavailability of an "allow me to receive notifications
for these products / components" functionality for ages [1].

andre

[1] To be fair, a downstream bgo extension got upstreamed at
https://github.com/bugzilla/extensions-ComponentWatching
but that's not shipped /by default/ which makes following anything that
is neither a ticket nor a user to stalk rather complicated/cumbersome.
--
Andre Klapper  |  ak-47 gmx net
http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/