Re: Proposal to deploy GitLab on gnome.org

Hi,

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 1:59 PM, Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> wrote:
On Wed, 2017-05-17 at 13:54 +0200, Jehan Pagès wrote:
Hi,

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 1:49 PM, Sébastien Wilmet <swilmet gnome org>
wrote:
On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 11:45:26AM +0200, Bastien Nocera wrote:
On Wed, 2017-05-17 at 11:33 +0200, Sébastien Wilmet wrote:

<snip>
Most developers are more familiar with the GitHub workflow, I
think
it's
an easier workflow than attaching a patch to a bugtracker
ticket.
Once
the contributor has pushed a branch on the fork repo, all the
rest
can
be done from the web interface by clicking on some buttons.

I absolutely hate this workflow, fwiw. I prefer being able to run
"git-
bz" to both create and apply patches, rather than keeping a clone
with
a bunch of patches in my own org, or remembering the commands to
push a
repo to my own repo from the upstream clone.

I hope there will be a git-bz equivalent available.

By attaching a patch to a bugtracker ticket, we loose the
information of
the parent commit: where the commit has been initially created in
the
git history.

I've already had the problem that git-bz apply fails (there was a
conflict), while git was able to resolve automatically the conflict
when
rebasing the branch.

Right. Patches are not a perfect workflow either. It's just nice and
simple.

Another problem of patches is that the email in it is not validated
(it's just a text file). I don't think this has ever been a problem
for us, but still theoretically: will gitlab validate contributor's
email and make sure the email in the commit are the same as the one
they validated in their profile? I assume it will do this, just
checking. Because it would be good for minimal author check.

That'd be broken. I wouldn't want to use the same email for the
bug/issue tracker and the code I commit. It also wouldn't work for
folks who want to use personal/work mail depending on the area of
contribution, or file pull requests with non-GNOME contributors.

Often these kind of web software allow you to register several emails.
Can't gitlab do this?

Anyway that's just a detail. Previous workflows were already broken on
this topic anyway. I just know that this is one of the problem
(reliability of authorship and contact) of patch files on bug trackers
and I was wondering if gitlab would fix it. Apparently not.

Jehan

--
ZeMarmot open animation film
http://film.zemarmot.net