Re: Proposal to deploy GitLab on gnome.org

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 7:03 PM, Ray Strode <halfline gmail com> wrote:
Hi,

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 12:20 PM <mcatanzaro gnome org> wrote:

Another issue we haven't discussed yet is commit permissions. Right
now, everyone can commit anything to every repository, but with GitLab
we'll probably eventually want something more fine-grained where
*active* maintainers have more control over who is allowed to commit.

uhh, why? I think the lack of fine grained ACLs is an extremely useful
feature of our current setup.  Are you concerned we might grow abusers at
some point?

It's quite hard to get commit access atm because you have to be
trusted initially. If a maintainer can give commit access to one repo
he/she watches anyway there is less trust needed in the beginning. Or
if a new contributor wants to take over an abandoned project.