Re: Proposal to deploy GitLab on gnome.org

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 12:03 PM, Ray Strode <halfline gmail com> wrote:
Hi,

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 12:20 PM <mcatanzaro gnome org> wrote:
Another issue we haven't discussed yet is commit permissions. Right
now, everyone can commit anything to every repository, but with GitLab
we'll probably eventually want something more fine-grained where
*active* maintainers have more control over who is allowed to commit.
uhh, why? I think the lack of fine grained ACLs is an extremely useful feature of our current setup. Are you concerned we might grow abusers at some point?

--Ray

Some maintainers want this, and I think that will be fine in the future. I don't really care much either way, because I've never seen any intentional abuse, and if someone commits something wrong to one of my projects I can simply revert it... which is very rare. But GitLab makes it easy to lock down permissions, and I hope we don't do that right away, when our build system is still very fragile and waiting for maintainers to approve build fixes is undesirable.

Michael