Re: developer.gnome.org and meson

On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 4:10 PM, Stefan Sauer <ensonic hora-obscura de> wrote:
On 08/09/2017 10:11 PM, Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
Somewhat relatedly, the only reason why it takes so long to build docs
is because we haven't been improving gtk-doc. There is little
technical reason why building our documentation has to be *so* slow.
For instance, there's Hotdoc which as a proof-of-concept does the same
work, but much faster. So perhaps our time is better spent figuring
out why gtk-doc eats CPU (single-threaded!) and fixing that.
It is not a secret why gtk-doc is slow. It is slow because libxslt and
the xsl-stylesheets are slow. In particular libxslt is single threaded.

Thanks for the clarification, Stefan :)

In the gtk-doc-1.26 I just release, everything was ported to python.

Yes, I was following the port to Python. It was great! Another step
towards getting rid of Perl from our toolchain. I have a vested
interest in this because it makes bootstrapping builds on, for
example, Windows much easier.

Next step is to remove file generating code from the xslt pipeline. Then
we can replace xslt by e.g. a markdown toolchain. I appreciate what was
done in hotdoc, but I'd like to provide a step by step migration path
for existing modules. I never understood why what has been done could
not have been made inside gtk-doc as well.
I appreciate anyone helping (like jussi helping a lot with porting from
perl to python).

I completely agree, my mention of Hotdoc wasn't an endorsement of it,
but rather to say that there is room for improvement in the time it
takes to build our docs. A gradual migration to a markdown-based
toolchain would do wonders. Do you have any bugs about the work that's
needed so people can dive in if they can?

Cheers,
Nirbheek