Re: developer.gnome.org and meson

On 08/09/2017 10:11 PM, Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 1:27 AM, Sébastien Wilmet <swilmet gnome org> wrote:
On Wed, Aug 09, 2017 at 03:20:38PM +0100, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
After all, Linux
distributions rebuild the documentation when building the binary
packages anyway
I see that in the gspell-doc package on Fedora 26, some html pages have
links to /home/seb/jhbuild/... (a problem with the gtkdoc-fixxref
config). That's my home directory :-) so definitely Fedora didn't
re-generate the docs (and it would be painfully slow, it takes several
hours on my machine to generate the GTK+ docs).

Somewhat relatedly, the only reason why it takes so long to build docs
is because we haven't been improving gtk-doc. There is little
technical reason why building our documentation has to be *so* slow.
For instance, there's Hotdoc which as a proof-of-concept does the same
work, but much faster. So perhaps our time is better spent figuring
out why gtk-doc eats CPU (single-threaded!) and fixing that.
It is not a secret why gtk-doc is slow. It is slow because libxslt and
the xsl-stylesheets are slow. In particular libxslt is single threaded.
In the gtk-doc-1.26 I just release, everything was ported to python.
Next step is to remove file generating code from the xslt pipeline. Then
we can replace xslt by e.g. a markdown toolchain. I appreciate what was
done in hotdoc, but I'd like to provide a step by step migration path
for existing modules. I never understood why what has been done could
not have been made inside gtk-doc as well.
I appreciate anyone helping (like jussi helping a lot with porting from
perl to python).

Stefan

Cheers,
Nirbheek