Re: Problems regarding jhbuild

Hi Michael,

On Mon, 2016-10-10 at 14:49 -0500, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
Anyway, the problem is a bootstrap version of vala needs to be
installed as a sysdep, but we can't make a sysdep for it until the vala
developers stop pointlessly bumping their pkg-config version early
single release. We need one vala pkg-config file that's sure to be
installed, then we can add a sysdep for it. In the meantime the only
workaround is to just install vala with your distro's package manager.

The pkg-config file is for libvala, which provides access to Vala's
internals and is not API-stable, hence the parallel installable
versions. However, it's also not needed by regular applications and
libraries that are written in Vala.

For bootstrapping, the dependency should be on valac, not on libvala.
I'm not very familiar with jhbuild but what's the issue with a valac
sysdep such as the following, similar to how the C compiler sysdep is
handled?

        <dep type="path" name="valac"/>

Regards,
Jürg