Re: Continuous Builds in GNOME

On Tue, Jun 07, 2016 at 07:34:42AM +0200, Milan Crha wrote:
There is a solution: bump the major version of Camel or EDS each time an
API or ABI break is unavoidable, making the new major version
parallel-installable with the previous ones. And that, every 6 months if
needed (or one year if the development cycle is longer for the
Evolution-related projects).

there is no need to give me pointers to things and practices which are
already used in the project. It can be useful for some other projects,
for some maintainers following this thread, thought.

I mean, that's exactly what we do (unless accidentally overlooked). If
the API/ABI changes, a soname version is bumped for that respective
part, at least once between releases (I just did a soname version bump
of Camel for 3.21.3 in one commit, then I did another change in the
Camel API in another commit, but I didn't bump the soname version,
because that all will be available for the early adopters in one single
release, 3.21.3).

What I meant is that for the Camel library, incompatible versions should
be parallel-installable, like GTK+ 2 and GTK+ 3. That way, some modules
could still depend on the previous major version of Camel, and you can
port the modules that you want to the new major version of Camel, one at
a time if you want. From a quick glance at the evolution-data-server
repo, this isn't done.

The difference would be that all modules still build and work fine.

--
Sébastien