Re: Enabling builddir != srcdir by default in jhbuild

On Fri, 2016-06-03 at 13:11 +0200, Bastien Nocera wrote:
On Thu, 2016-06-02 at 23:50 +0100, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
[ Picking this up again ]

I've been spending the last couple of days fixing modules on
git.gnome.org (you may have noticed a commit or two from me on your
modules fixing builddir != srcdir issues); submitting bugs/patches
modules that are hosted elsewhere; and disabling non-srcdir builds
directly in the jhbuild modulesets. I'm fairly confident that all
remaining issues are now limited to modules that are in gnome-apps
or
gnome-world, but I haven't tested things like all the C++ language
bindings modules.

If you maintain a module listed in jhbuild, *please* update your
jhbuild local repository and try build your module with the new
buildroot setting enabled. If your module fails to build, fixing it
would also be appreciated — as it would spare you and everybody
else
time and effort; alternatively, you can poke me on IRC, and I'll
either fix it for you, or help you out in fixing it.

As a last resource, we can mark modules that do not support non-
srcdir
builds in the various modulesets, but I'd rather avoid it as it
defeats the purpose.

Looks like this is uncovering more bugs.
$ jhbuild buildone -afn gnome-documents
*** Configuring gnome-documents *** [1/1]
/home/hadess/Projects/jhbuild/gnome-documents/autogen.sh --prefix
/home/hadess/Projects/gnome-install --disable-Werror  --enable-
getting-
started
/usr/bin/gnome-autogen.sh
fatal: Not a git repository (or any parent up to mount point /home)
Stopping at filesystem boundary (GIT_DISCOVERY_ACROSS_FILESYSTEM not
set).
<carries on>

The autogen.sh tries to run:
git submodule update --init --recursive

Which might, or might not be a good idea. In any case, that won't
work
if cwd isn't the git repo.

What's the proper fix for this then?

The "srcdir != builddir" implemented in jhbuild isn't the same one as
the one implemented in Continuous[1].

Which is a bit of a shame when the jhbuild implementation was done to
avoid continuous breaking. And that might also have explained a number
of the breakages you've found.

[1]: Continuous runs autogen.sh from srcdir, jhbuild from builddir.