Re: Multi DPI user interface

On Tue, 2016-07-19 at 23:23 +0800, Jonas Ådahl wrote:

<snip>
Well, 3 options with the other one being to have "A" and "B" content
be
placed in individual files, i.e. Screenshot - 2016-07-19 - 12:34 -
LVDS1.png and Screenshot - 2016-07-19 - 12:34 - HDMI1.png, each one
with
their correct resolution

As Christian mentioned, the 4th option is to pass on that data on "raw"
(along with metadata such as the scaling factor), and let the "front-
ends" deal with it.

For gnome-settings-daemon's screenshot functionality, we'd probably
stitch the screenshots together either as per option #1 or #2 but more
involved screenshotting tools could offer different options.

In short, don't bake the end-user application design choices into the
API for this.

On that note, relying on the cursor position is as bad an idea as it
ever was with touchscreens, or for when we implement the "presentation"
screen mode (which is inaccessible for anything but display).