Re: Build sheriffs for GNOME

On Sat, 2016-01-23 at 01:55 +0900, Tristan Van Berkom wrote:
This kind of breakage is just a fact of life, you cannot sweep it
under
the rug and pretend it does not exist.

Sure, it's a barrier of entry for newcomers and an annoyance for
experienced developers who realize the facts of life. But that's just
the way it is, there is no reason to complain about it.

Software development is difficult, integration is difficult when you
have many moving parts that are in a development stage before being
release ready.

Of course we can't pretend it does not exist, but we certainly can work
on side branches to keep things building. It's pretty easy and it does
solve the problem....

And to be doubly clear: the master branch is *not* what is advertised
by upstream maintainers as stable, it is the bleeding edge, it can
have
churn, it may not always match up to other modules perfectly, other
modules may have not yet adapted to the churn. Building master may be
asking for trouble, again, this is just a fact of life if you are
trying to integrate with all bleeding edge component in the middle of
their development cycle, instead of what maintainers have published
as
stable.

If you want something that you are sure will build, take the stable
release tag and build that.

But master is what other GNOME contributors need to be able to build in
order to contribute to your module or any modules that depend on your
module. I would very much appreciate it if you would work in a
sidebranch if you need to make a change you know will break the build
for some module.

Thanks,

Michael