Re: GTK+ plans for 3.22

Hi;

On Tuesday, 26 April 2016, Adam Jackson <ajax redhat com> wrote:
On Thu, 2016-03-17 at 09:17 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:

> - GSK
>
> Emmanuele has been working on GSK for a while (you may have seen him
> talk about it at past guadecs), and there was some thought on merging
> it for 3.20. For various reasons, that didn't happen.

Who are the first consumers likely to be?

The main consumer is GTK itself; the idea is to have GTK render to Cairo surface, as it does now, and then blend/blit with OpenGL (or OpenGL ES). In the future we want to move to a model where we do most of the rendering on GL itself, a la Servo.

At the same time we are also trying to replace Clutter as a scene graph API, so that existing Clutter users can port to a GTK API without depending on a separate library. Obvious targets are the GNOME games and the Maps application.

To anticipate the question, I'm not sure the Shell is going to be a target, at least for the time being; the Shell is already going to move to a subset of the Cogl/Clutter API, and I'm very dubious about turning GTK into a compositor toolkit after the painful experience that I had with Clutter.

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.

- ajax