Re: Giving up maintainership of Dictionary and 2048

Hi;

On 16 September 2015 at 19:41, Felipe Borges <felipeborges gnome org> wrote:
Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that Pranav can't take the maintainership of
gnome-dictionary. So I'm stepping in.

As Pranav, I have no previously experience patching Dictionary, but
I've been involved in some other GNOME projects and I think this is a
great opportunity to learn and give back to the community.

If you agree, I'd like to maintain gnome-dictionary from now on.

Thanks for stepping up!

I've just released Dictionary 3.18.0, so any discussion on what can be
done can start from a stable baseline.

Juan did an amazing job in a visual refresh of the Dictionary's UI; I
know that there are missing bits, here and there, so ensure that the
UI adheres to the current HIG. A proper review from the design team
would be a good initial step.

Then there's the long-standing issue of the Dictionary being a DICT
client, in a world where DICT servers are a rarity. The "plan" for the
past few years has been to drop the DICT protocol, and start talking
to Wiktionary via some API.

If we're moving away from the DICT protocol and custom widgetry
heavily based on that, then we could start thinking about using
another language that is not C, to improve the "hackability" aspect of
the Dictionary — but I would definitely not hold a port to a different
language as a precondition to working on the application itself.

If you need to ask me questions about the current implementation, feel
free to poke me on IRC; I'll be happy to answer.

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
https://www.bassi.io