Re: GNOME Shell browser plugin

Hi there,

Quoting Michael Catanzaro (2015-11-07 16:19:12)
Sometimes Carlos solves bugs as fast as I can complain about them. ;)

On Sat, 2015-11-07 at 10:16 +0100, Carlos Garcia Campos wrote:
As long as the browser plugin solution work, I think the best (and
easiest) approach would be to make extensions a pre-installed
epiphany
web app.

Hm, not a bad idea; it's certainly much easier than the solutions that
have been proposed so far. I see two minor problems only:

* We have to make it possible to allow some NPAPI plugins to run in
Wayland, while intelligently keeping disabled anything that tries to
use X.

If the “Extensions” application is gonna be a pre-installed Epiphany
application, it could as well be an application that uses WebKitGTK+
to embed a web view *and* provides endpoints which the extensions site
can use, via the user script message handlers API:

http://webkitgtk.org/reference/webkit2gtk/unstable/WebKitUserContentManager.html#webkit-user-content-manager-register-script-message-handler

This way, the NPAPI plug-in would be unneed. And that would work for
Wayland (or any other non-X11 backend, for the matter).

Cheers,

--
 ⌨ Adrian