Re: Death of gnome-common

On Mon, 2015-06-22 at 10:44 -0500, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
On Mon, 2015-06-22 at 16:36 +0100, Philip Withnall wrote:
Do we require automake 1.13 though?

Looks like it was released January 1, 2013... so we should.

We *could*; doesn’t necessarily mean we *should*.

 Automake 2.0 isn’t out yet (though
it looks cool), so I’d be tempted to leave in the ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS
recommendation for backwards compatibility until automake 2.0 is
released, and then bump everyone’s dependency to automake 1.13 and
drop
use of ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS.

Unless you think automake 2.0 is being released imminently, and we
should instead be adding a hard dependency on automake 1.13 and
using
AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIRS to begin with?

Automake 2.0 is supposed to be released later this year, and automake
1.13 has been around for a while, so I would definitely go straight
AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIRS.

As Kalev says, we should ensure this still builds with various distros.
RHEL7 is fine. Debian stable (Jessie) has 1.14. Fedora has had ≥ 1.13
for a long time. Arch has 1.15. FreeBSD has 1.15.

So unless anybody objects, I think a hard dependency on automake 1.13
would be fine.

Would you mind updating the wiki page to match your suggestions?
Probably also makes sense to update

https://wiki.gnome.org/Initiatives/GnomeGoals/ModernAutotools

which is a separate, though related, goal.

Philip