Re: Death of gnome-common

On Tue, 2015-06-23 at 08:33 +0100, Philip Withnall wrote:
As Kalev says, we should ensure this still builds with various
distros.
RHEL7 is fine. Debian stable (Jessie) has 1.14. Fedora has had ≥ 1.13
for a long time. Arch has 1.15. FreeBSD has 1.15.

So unless anybody objects, I think a hard dependency on automake 1.13
would be fine.

Would you mind updating the wiki page to match your suggestions?

I guess we can simply remove the ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS line from Makefile.am,
since autogen.sh calls aclocal --install. Correct? (This works for me.)

libtoolize complains about it:

libtoolize: Consider adding `-I m4' to ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS in Makefile.am.

But I guess libtoolize is wrong.

Probably also makes sense to update

https://wiki.gnome.org/Initiatives/GnomeGoals/ModernAutotools

which is a separate, though related, goal.

We should also remove mention of AX_REQUIRE_DEFINED([APPDATA_XML])
since APPDATA_XML is obsoleted by APPSTREAM_XML.

I guess aclocal --install and autoreconf --install are redundant, and
we just need to run aclocal first because we run glib-gettextize,
intltoolize, and gtkdocize before autoreconf? Moving autoreconf to the
top of the  allows me to drop use of aclocal from my autogen.sh:

set -x
autoreconf --verbose --force --install -Wno-portability || exit 1
glib-gettextize --force --copy || exit 1
intltoolize --force --copy --automake || exit 1
set +x

This works with epiphany's build system (though it doesn't use
gtkdocize).

I also suspect it's wrong to use both glib-gettextize and intltoolize
in autogen.sh, but I don't pretend to understand these tools....

Michael