Re: Feedback from downstreams presentation from DX hackfest 2015

On Mon, 2015-02-02 at 08:05 +0000, Philip Withnall wrote:
[snip]
Handout:
http://people.collabora.com/~pwith/feedback-from-downstreams/handout.pdf

That mentions this:
"
Gtkmm's documentation is poor in comparison to GTK+'s and it works
really badly in Devhelp. Searching (an important feature we take for
granted when using the C API) is especially bad
"

Searching of gtkmm documentation has been working in devhelp for years,
and I've just tested it here both in regular Ubuntu and in jhbuild. I
mean, searching of the index, of course. I don't think devhelp offers
full text search for any documentation. If there's any particular
problem, or if I've misunderstood, we'd like to hear about it.

As for the rest of the documentation, I don't feel it's that bad apart
from a few holes here and there. In many places it's vastly clearer
because we've had to figure out how the (often poorly documented) GTK+
APIs are meant to be used.

Our gtkmm book is now very out of date because we've haven't updated it
for the many API additions and deprecations over the last 3 years or so.
When it was up to date people seemed very happy with it. I can't devote
enough of my free time anymore to updating it fully but I'm available
for freelance work.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com