Re: Feedback from downstreams presentation from DX hackfest 2015

On Mon, 2015-02-02 at 14:47 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
On Mon, 2015-02-02 at 08:05 +0000, Philip Withnall wrote:
At the DX hackfest last week[1] I gave an informal presentation about
some of the work Collabora has been doing with GLib, GStreamer, Clutter,
GTK+ and related technologies on client projects, specifically focusing
on the feedback from two client projects, and the problems we
encountered downstream which could motivate upstream development in the
future.

We discussed various issues around those in the presentation, and have
some ideas for fixing some of the problems which we did not manage to
fix at the time of doing the work downstream. Some of these problems are
inherently unfixable, though, and are mentioned purely to motivate
future API designs to direct people towards a single, correct, intended
usage of the API, as much as that is possible.

It was suggested that I send the presentation to DDL, since it might be
of general interest. I haven’t modified it from the hackfest version, so
please let me know if you have any questions.

I think a lot of the problems in this report need bugs created, so that
the information trickles down to the appropriate maintainers. It would
also greatly help with tracking of the overall goals of improving our
stack.

Yup, that’s definitely on my to-do list. It will take an hour or two
though, so it might take me a few days to get to.

Philip