Re: Improving Quality

I thik it's an awesome idea. I always missed a doable per cycle priority bug list that experienced developers + designers agree on.
Also, when I was newcomer, EveryDetailMatters for gnome-shell helped me to focus and not spending lot of time searching and thinking priorities in bugzilla. So I expect your proposal to be very welcome for newcomers as well.

On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 6:24 AM, Allan Day <allanpday gmail com> wrote:

>  * At the beginning of each cycle, the Release Team draws up a list of
> bugs that affect the overall user experience.
>
>  * The list is tracked in Bugzilla, and a summary is sent to d-d-l. We
> set ourselves the goal of fixing as many of the issues as we can.
>
>  * Over the cycle, the release team regularly reviews the list of bugs
> and sends an update to d-d-l, saying how many have been fixed, what
> the priorities are, and so on.
>
> This should hopefully give us greater focus, and enable us to start
> tracking issues early rather than late. I also hope that it will
> encourage contributions.
>
> My idea is to use the gnome-version Bugzilla field for setting the
> list of bugs. (But I don't want to get too hung up on which exact
> mechanism we use.) This means that the list will eventually turn into
> blocker bugs at the end of the cycle, which I think is beneficial. We
> can always punt non-critical bugs to the next version if they aren't a
> priority.
>
> There are plenty of other implementation details to work out, of
> course. I can provide a more detailed proposal if there is support for
> the idea. Or we can just get started and figure it along the way.
>
> Thoughts?

I think this is a great idea. When we discussed this at Guadec, I got
the impression that we should use this to draw attention to
longstanding UX annoyances, early enough in the cycle to address them.
Here is a short list of (my personal) candidates for this category:

728496 evolution-data-server - Gnome shell keeps poping modal dialog
for gmail password
710848 polari - private messages vs shell chat
705177 gnome-shell - Full-screen apps disappear on Alt+Tab