Re: End Session Dialog

On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 11:45 PM, Alberts Muktupāvels <alberts muktupavels gmail com> wrote:

On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 11:04 PM, Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> wrote:
On Fri, 2014-09-19 at 22:49 +0300, Alberts Muktupāvels wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 10:27 PM, Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com>
> wrote:
>         On Fri, 2014-09-19 at 20:26 +0300, Alberts Muktupāvels wrote:
>
>         > question to gnome-session and gnome-shell developers about
>         End Session
>         > dialog.
>         >
>         >
>         > Currently gnome-session expect that End Session Dialog is
>         available on
>         > org.gnome.Shell. Can we change it so it does not require
>         > org.gnome.Shell for that dialog?
>
>         What's your reasoning for why you want this to be done?
>
> I am trying to keep alive old classic / fallback session now known as
> Flashback session (metacity, gnome-panel). To show End Session Dialog
> we need to connect to org.gnome.Shell. That works, but now
> applications thinks that GNOME Shell is running...

This is tricky - GNOME Shell is a system component of GNOME, and
dependencies on it aren't limited to gnome-session - I also, for
example, see uses of GNOME SHell D-Bus interfaces in
gnome-control-center and gnome-settings-daemon.

I am right now running Flashback session without GNOME Shell. gnome-settings-daemon and gnome-control-center works without it. So at least for now I don't see problem here.

(Do global keybindings work without GNOME Shell running? I thought they
relied on GNOME Shell for that for now.)

Probably not, but that is other problem that I will have to deal with.

My opinion is that the Fllashback cannot increase the maintenance load
of GNOME ... there's a reason we wanted to get rid of fallback mode.

It is not my intention. I attached example.patch for gnome-session. Then we need patch for gnome-shell to export EndSessionDialog interface on org.gnome.SessionManager.EndSessionDialog not on org.gnome.Shell. It does not look like it would increase the maintenance load, but would allow Flashback session to show that dialog without using org.gnome.Shell.

And it looks like patch for gnome-shell will be even simpler. Only one extra line, see attachment. Now with patched gnome-session and gnome-shell end session dialog works fine in GNOME Shell and GNOME Flashback sessions.

Should I create properly formatted patches and bug reports? It would be nice if this could be included when 3.16 development starts.

--
Alberts Muktupāvels