Re: End Session Dialog

On Fri, 2014-09-19 at 22:49 +0300, Alberts Muktupāvels wrote:
On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 10:27 PM, Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com>
wrote:
        On Fri, 2014-09-19 at 20:26 +0300, Alberts Muktupāvels wrote:

        > question to gnome-session and gnome-shell developers about
        End Session
        > dialog.
        >

        > Currently gnome-session expect that End Session Dialog is
        available on
        > org.gnome.Shell. Can we change it so it does not require
        > org.gnome.Shell for that dialog?

        What's your reasoning for why you want this to be done?

I am trying to keep alive old classic / fallback session now known as
Flashback session (metacity, gnome-panel). To show End Session Dialog
we need to connect to org.gnome.Shell. That works, but now
applications thinks that GNOME Shell is running...

This is tricky - GNOME Shell is a system component of GNOME, and
dependencies on it aren't limited to gnome-session - I also, for
example, see uses of GNOME SHell D-Bus interfaces in
gnome-control-center and gnome-settings-daemon.

(Do global keybindings work without GNOME Shell running? I thought they
relied on GNOME Shell for that for now.)

My opinion is that the Fllashback cannot increase the maintenance load
of GNOME ... there's a reason we wanted to get rid of fallback mode.

- Owen