Re: Glade release to include GtkHeaderBar?

On Mon, Sep 1, 2014 at 8:43 PM, Sriram Ramkrishna <sri ramkrishna me> wrote:

On Sep 1, 2014 6:28 PM, "meg ford" <meg387 gmail com> wrote:

> Hey,
> On Mon, Sep 1, 2014 at 8:04 PM, Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro gnome org> wrote:
>>
>> the C++, Python, and JS examples in
>> gnome-devel-demos. If nobody volunteers to review them before 3.16, then
>> I think they should be removed.
>

> I really don't think you should remove them. Having something there is better than nothing, especially given that most application developers aren't using C or Vala.

I beg to differ, vala is very popular.  More popular than _javascript_.  Every thread in Reddit on GTK+ always ends up talking about how awesome Vala is.

Within our ecosystem, yes, but outside of GNOME I know one developer who uses Vala. Presumably those developers who are already part of the community are more likely to read the docs for C or source code if there isn't a Vala example or an example for the language they are using. So I suppose it depends on who you are targeting.

ElementaryOs uses Vala exclusively.  The folks at Yorba use Vala.  We spent time talking about Vala at West Coast Hackfest.  Like it or not, it is very popular.

I don't have any problem with Vala, but I don't think it's as widely used as Python or JS. However, I'm not interested in having a debate here, I was just telling you my opinion as an app developer. As they say, since I'm not volunteering to write the docs, it's ultimately up to the people who put in the time.

Meg

We never talk about python or _javascript_.

Sri