Re: RFC - file chooser dialog API for sandboxed apps

On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 7:40 PM, Jasper St. Pierre
<jstpierre mecheye net> wrote:
[...]
The other point I want to make is that the filesystem mixes up user data and
system internals, to the point where it's common for people to hide their
porn collection in folders C:\Windows\System32 like they would between a
mattress boxspring, because it's "internals".

It's dangerous for less-computer-savvy users to be able to see the system
internals and poke around in there. We can try to partition user data away
from the dangerous parts of the filesystem: C:\Windows and C:\Users, but
it's not a true separation to its core.

How is it "dangerous" ? That might have been the case in the days
where everyone was an administrator (windows xp and even worse pre xp)
but that times are ending.

The filesystem is an *excellent* data structure for O(1) keyed hierarchical
local data storage, and we shouldn't throw that away, because it makes sense
to build a bunch of system internals on, but I don't think we should expose
it directly to the user. It shouldn't be completely inaccessible -- hackers
and engineers like ourselves won't stop using it, but we should start
thinking of new, more user-centric models.

Well I don't disagree with you here but the problem I see is
consistency ... we do not control all applications and having a
mixture of fundamentally different choosing schemes might cause even
more confusion then the current one, where all aren't using the same
ui but at least the same concept.