Re: Displaying wallpapers in /usr/share/backgrounds/ in settings

IIRC the original reasoning for having the .xml descriptions was having
a nice way to provide human readable names of artwork that could be
chosen in the old GNOME 2 gnome-appearance-properties dialog.

I'm somewhat against enabling some form of ruthless search
against /usr/share/backgrounds, as some other tools do. I'm also
somewhat against having automatic recursion of ~/Pictures, for
performance reasons.

Given that by default most tools send anything of picture form to
~/Pictures/, even screenshot tools, some web browsers when you
download.. it might make sense having an optional Wallpapers directory,
so that they're split.

Then again, you lose the comfort of XDG user directories and need to
find a way of fitting yet another option into the UI somewhere..
A nice compromise could simply be an "add" button to not need to use
gnome-tweak-tool (though you can already use this to chose a wallpaper
outside of the normal directories, though admittedly its not integrated
with GCC)

Sidenote: I'm also instinctively against /usr/local/share/backgrounds,
for a number of reasons. As a distribution developer, I just avoid
having /usr/local at all, and at any rate that's still part of the root
filesystem. User changes should be restricted to the home directory :)

- Ikey