Re: Portals and Sandboxing

On Thu, 2014-01-02 at 12:06 -0500, Jasper St. Pierre wrote:
On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 10:22 AM, Michael Ikey Doherty
<michael i doherty intel com> wrote:
        Hello,

        Given that JavaScript is prototyped and seemingly ill-suited
        GObject-Introspection, perhaps Vala needs re-evaluating. A
        logical step
        might be to introduce Vala bytecode, and finish optimisation
        on the
        target computer. This could be achieved using llvm/clang.

As one of the lead developers of gjs currently working on it at the
moment (by sheer coincidence, it usually doesn't get much
development), why do you say JavaScript is ill-suited to
GObject-Introspection? What problems do you have with GJS/JavaScript
at the moment?
I personally have no issue with JavaScript development, as I simply do
not use it. I'm merely going on what I've heard other developers say and
some comments I've heard in the past about gobject-introspection issues
with porting some of the GNOME applications, resulting in python->vala,
not python->javascript

        I believe these points need to be addressed before an app
        deployment and
        sandboxing mechanism are even employed within GNOME.

        Relevant WIP repository:
        https://github.com/ikeydoherty/app-concepts
        Video of concept in action:
        https://plus.google.com/u/0/+IkeyDoherty/posts/3LC7Mun89qm

        Kind Regards,
        Ikey Doherty

        Intel Corporation (UK) Limited
        Registered No. 1134945 (England)
        VAT No: 860 2173 47

        This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential
        material for
        the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any review or
        distribution