Re: High-DPI GNOME update: great progress, remaining issues

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 10:45 AM, drago01 <drago01 gmail com> wrote:
On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 7:15 PM, Brion Vibber <brion pobox com> wrote:
> Setting both GDK_SCALE=2 and CLUTTER_SCALE=2 seems to go a little wonky, at
> least in the VM environment (it scales up the things that were already
> scaled, too!)...

That's expected things do not work this way. You have to actually set
the xsetting instead of using the environment variable.
There is a gesettings key in org.gnome.desktop.interface called
"scale-factor" try setting this one to "2"

Ah, great -- here's how I got it working:

* remove the manual GDK_SCALE and CLUTTER_SCALE settings from environment
* $ gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface scaling-factor 2
* restart

It initially shows everything incorrectly just pixel-doubled, but after restarting and logging back in fresh, gnome-shell displays correctly at high resolution.

Thanks!

-- brion