Re: Suggestions for an official GNOME hosted document collaboration suite?

On 2014-02-14 16:39, Florian Müllner wrote:
On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 10:27 PM, alex diavatis
<alexis diavatis gmail com> wrote:
there is any legal issue that prevent gnome to introduce a per-user revenue model, or in other words commercial services over open source solutions?

Being a non-profit organization[0], I would assume so (but then I am
not a lawyer).

We are a 501(c)(3) organization, but that doesn't mean we can't ever charge for services. Basically it's more of a matter of whether the income is taxed or not, and to make sure that this kind of activity isn't a substantial part of what we do. This is of course an over simplification, but you can read more about the details in the part of the legal primer I wrote when I was at SFLC:

http://softwarefreedom.org/resources/2008/foss-primer.html#x1-370003.5.3

Of course, no matter what we do it should always be to forward software freedom and GNOME technologies :)
karen

[0] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/501%28c%29_organization