Re: Suggestions for an official GNOME hosted document collaboration suite?

It really doesn't work for GNOME to provide free services like document storage to the entire Internet population for whatever purpose they desire.  It costs money per user, but we don't have a per-user revenue model.

If you have business class subscription to OwnCloud then you're not doing it right. Just have one of your sponsors provide some server resources and you could easily host both foundation members and volunteers for little or no cost.  Naturally, having sponsors, I assumed you had such resources when I asked the question.

The only other alternative is to use free Google Storage services which is odd for several reasons.  First it's not open-source. Secondly it's freely available to the entire internet population. Lastly Google is one of your sponsors so why aren't they providing any resources to you?

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 4:59 PM, Julien Olivier <julo42 gmail com> wrote:
Le vendredi 14 février 2014 à 22:39 +0100, Florian Müllner a écrit :
> On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 10:27 PM, alex diavatis
> <alexis diavatis gmail com> wrote:
> > there is any legal issue that prevent gnome to introduce a per-user revenue
> > model, or in other words commercial services over open source solutions?
>
> Being a non-profit organization[0], I would assume so (but then I am
> not a lawyer).

I'm not a lawyer either, but "non-profit" only means that it is not
allowed to make profit, not that it cannot ask for a membership fee, as
long as it is able to justify this fee.