Re: Underlying DE for the Fedora Workstation product

On Tue, 2014-02-04 at 20:30 -0500, Alex GS wrote:
On Tue, 2014-02-04 at 14:52 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
On Tue, 2014-02-04 at 13:09 +0000, Allan Day wrote:
Hi Alex,

Thanks for reaching out with your ideas. I'm afraid that you're
catching us at a bad time - we are really close to UI freeze and a lot
of us are working flat out on that. I personally don't have much time
to spare on mailing lists right now. :)

Can you explain what the GNOME 2 sub-project would actually look like?
It's hard to respond without knowing details about how it would
actually work. I understand that you are proposing to utilise some
GNOME 3 modules, but how would it differ? Would it have a 3.x
gnome-control-center? Would it have a shell? If not, which pieces
would you use instead? Would you expect the GNOME project to make
regular GNOME 2 releases alongside GNOME ones? Would we work to ensure
we produce quality GNOME 2 releases as well as GNOME 3 releases? How
would we market these two experiences? What would we recommend to
distributions?

The main question for me would be, why would we want a "GNOME 2"-like
sub-project in GNOME when we dropped support for a very similar
interface, the fallback mode.

To respond that that I'll copy a response I posted to the Fedora
Workstation mailing list, it's modified to address your question
specifically.

I wouldn't mind if the response wasn't horribly flawed. It seems to boil
down to "GNOME 2 was released around the same time as MacOS X so it was
awesome".

Furthermore, we obviously don't agree that GNOME 2 is that great,
otherwise we'd still be working on it. So you'd have to do a *lot* more
convincing.

Finally, I'd point out that MacOS X has made pretty extensive UI
changes, some of them clearly inspired by GNOME 3.