Re: RFC: GSound, a GObject library for playing system sounds

On 4 December 2014 at 11:45, Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com> wrote:
I'm not overly on board with shoving even more API inside GDK just to
keep the number of libraries down.

Right; but from a 40,000ft view, having to depend on a new *set* of
libraries just to do a *BING* sound probably means our "platform"
story isn't awesome.

has anybody done an assessment of the similarities between DirectSound
and canberra? how do these API map to each other? can we do a layer
that is the minimal intersection between the two (and whatever MacOS
has) and still be useful?

That is a good question and one I'm not qualified to answer. Anyone?

Richard