Re: Power switch to actually turn off my computer

Florian Müllner <fmuellner <at> gnome.org> writes:

On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 1:01 PM, Charles T. Smith
<cts.private.yahoo <at> gmail.com> wrote:
The problem is, I'm new to this group (but I like it!) and I don't know
where to find org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power - I mean, somewhere
where I can grep it.

I used git-grep in the gnome-tweak-tool source tree, but a simple

  grep -R 'Power Button Action' /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gtweak

should work as well.

Okay, now I understand.  tweak_group_shell.py configures that object-id,
org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power, so gnome can manipulate it.  In
this case, grep is no longer my friend.

What I'm after is managing the system without using gnome.  There's a path
from org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power to the files that configure
linux to handle the power switch.  Probably the easiest way to find those
files is to know what subsystem now handles the power switch.

There's a lot of candidates.  If nobody knows anymore who is responsible for
the power switch, I can go through them, one-by-one, e.g. the kernel, udev,
hal, acpi, etc.  Or, I can try to reverse-engineer gnome management.  It's
all a lot of work.