Re: Opening the 3.12 cycle

hi;

On 24 September 2013 08:03, Andrew W. Nosenko
<andrew w nosenko gmail com> wrote:
On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 10:58 PM, Jasper St. Pierre
<jstpierre mecheye net> wrote:
On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 3:50 PM, Andy Tai <atai gnu org> wrote:

what would this mean for systems not using systemd?

Systems not using systemd already fall back to ConsoleKit, which does not
have any maintainer. We don't support features like suspend or hibernate on
ConsoleKit anymore and it's pretty much on life support only at this point.

For 3.12, we will keep the old gnome-session and gdm code that uses
ConsoleKit and fork/exec ourselves in the case where you compile without
logind support, but I wouldn't expect it to be around much longer.

Do you have any specific examples of systems not using systemd that you
would like to run GNOME on?

Did you heard about FreeBSD?

nothing has really changed in that respect.

FreeBSD developers and users should follow the great example of
Antoine, who has been hard at work to ensure that GNOME builds and
works on OpenBSD.

it's an undeniable reality that most of the developers in GNOME use
Linux, which means things get developed, tested, fixed, and designed
on Linux first. the only way to counter eventual breakage on other
systems is to work upstream.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--