Re: 3.12 feature: polari

Quoting Allan Day <allanpday gmail com>:

David Woodhouse <dwmw2 infradead org> wrote:
The usage patterns for IRC are different from regular IM (passive
presence in many "always on" channels vs. active participation in a
smaller number of temporally specific conversations). You can't
support both with the same UI (I know, I've tried to design such a
thing).

I'm not so sure they're really different.

I have a passive presence on my corporate IM system, always indicating
my availability (available/busy/away/etc.). And it's very likely to be
'always on' these days, since I can also receive voice calls from the
PSTN when I'm connected to it.

And there are obviously the small number of temporally specific
conversations that you mention.

But all that *also* describes my IRC usage. Yeah, it's always on, and it
can indicate my availability, and I'll have a number of short-lived
conversations.

To me, there isn't a clear distinction between one and the other.

IRC:
 * You tend to join channels, not conversations.
 * Individuals tend to be on a high number of channels simultaneously.
 * Channels often have a high number of people in them.
 * Your interest in a channel tends remain the same over time.
 * Most people tend to read and not write.
 * Participants are often strangers.

IM
 * Conversation based rather than channel based.
 * You know the people you talk to.
 * The number of conversations you are involved in at any one time
tends to be fairly low.
 * Conversations tend to be temporally specific.
 * The number of participants in a conversation tends to be low.
 * All the participants in a conversation usually speak.

The distinction seems pretty clear to me.

The way you list them, yes, I agree.. to most of the points, except the 'number of participants' which is not 'clear'. There are no low-limits in IRC.. 'IM' probably has some upper limit.. but to make it clear' you'd need a hard number.. I would probably remove this statement from the comparison.

Dominique