Re: 3.12 feature: polari

David Woodhouse <dwmw2 infradead org> wrote:
Or be a better alternative to Empathy for rooms, leaving Empathy (or
eventually, Contacts + Shell, I guess) for IM.

That seems like confusing balkanisation to me.

The usage patterns for IRC are different from regular IM (passive
presence in many "always on" channels vs. active participation in a
smaller number of temporally specific conversations). You can't
support both with the same UI (I know, I've tried to design such a
thing).

So if I'm having a
conversation in an IRC channel with someone, and we decide to take it
*off* the channel to private messages, it suddenly ends up in a
different app altogether?

No. Please check the mockups [1] - private messages are handled in
Polari (in a similar fashion to other IRC clients, like XChat).

There's nothing radically new here - IRC and IM clients frequently
coexist without any problems. This feature is simply intended to
provide a better IRC client for GNOME.

Allan

[1] https://wiki.gnome.org/Design/Apps/Potential/Polari#Tentative_Design