Switching Between Applications in Gnome 3

Hello,

I've been using Gnome 3.4.2 for long time. I started using Gnome 3
because I believe in innovation and evolution through trial and error.
But I noticed a problematic recurring pattern in my usage of my laptop
(I don't carry it anywhere, and it's has a large screen, so it can be
considered like a desktop computer).

When I work, especially when I program, I have many windows open:

Gedit for source code (I know, I know, I should start using an IDE)
Devhelp
Epiphany window for programming-related pages
Epiphany window for other pages (webmail, social network, etc.)
Nautilus, with 2-4 several tabs open, maybe also 2 windows
Gnome Terminal window, with the working directory being my git repo
Gnome Terminal window for compiling short experiment programs I write
Evolution
Empathy
Transmission

This is a lot of open windows, so I group them into workspaces. But it
doesn't help, I still feel too inefficient sometimes, and I'd like to
know how I can improve my desktop worflow and usage.

A typical workspace arrangement I use is listed in the bottom of this
message.

The problems I encounter:

1. When I need to switch between windows in the same workspace, I take
the mouse cursor to the corner of the screen, then click on the window I
want to see.

2. When I need to switch between windows in different workspaces, I move
the mouse cursor to the corner of the window, then move it to the
workspace sidebar, click on the one I want, then click on the window I
want.

3. Sometimes using the mouse is faster than thinking, so I have the
following problem with Nautilus and Epiphany: since more than one window
is open, very often I click on an Epiphany or Nautilus window in the
overview, and when it fully appears on the screen I realize it's the
wrong window and go to the other one. It happens because I click before
I start thinking which workspace is the active one... maybe just because
I have many tabs and may pages open.

The question is, how can I improve that? Switching between windows,
especially on different workspaces, becomes very slow. I tried using alt
+tab, but when I hold alt+tab for too long, the marker starts running
through the list of windows and I can't efficiently click on the one I
want.

Oops, wait a second! I just tried the alt+tab keys again, and now it
seems I was rejecting them too easily... I think it can work for me :)

But anyway, is there some workflow you recommend for programming? I have
one 15.6' screen and I need many windows open. Maybe there's some
keyboard-driven approach which I and other people should be more aware
of.

I really think Gnome 3 can be great and more people can find it useful.
It's just a matter of knowing how to use it efficiently. So if you have
any advice for me, it's very welcome :)

Anatoly

Here's a typical workspace setup I use:

* Personal workspace:
Epiphany window for non-programming pages
Nautilus with non-programming folders open as tabs

* Programming workspace 1
Gedit
Devhelp
Epiphany window for programming-related pages
Gnome Terminal window, with the working directory being my git repo
Nautilus with programming related folders open as tabs

* Programming workspace 2
Gnome Terminal window for compiling short experiment programs I write
Sometimes Evince (for PDF files), filer-roller for tarballs

* Network/communication workspace
Evolution
Empathy
Transmission