Re: Passive resistance [was: Re: Announcing GNOME's official GitHub mirror]

On 08/16/2013 05:36 PM, Jasper St. Pierre wrote:
On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 11:10 AM, Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org> wrote:
On Fri, 2013-08-16 at 10:17 -0400, Jasper St. Pierre wrote:

> There's possibly a discussion to have about whether GNOME should use
> proprietary services for outreach, but GitHub isn't really anything
> new here. In my opinion, if you feel strongly about the use of
> proprietary services for outreach, perhaps GNOME isn't the greatest
> fit for you.

What a terrible thing to say. If you disagree with some decisions, then
you don't belong here? There's no room for diversity of opinion in our
community? That doesn't sound like the GNOME I joined ten years ago.

I'm not trying to say you can't disagree with GNOME's decisions or talk about them, just that the way I see it, I don't see things changing.

From what I've seen over the years, I think we're more accepting of proprietary services. We introduced GNOME Online Accounts for integration with Gmail, Facebook, Windows Live and Twitter. We're discussing pulling user avatars from services like Gravatar. We're actively marketing through services like Twitter.

If you're not happy with that, we can certainly bring it up to the board and talk about it, but from how I see things, I don't think we'll remove GNOME Online Accounts integration or stop our Twitter marketing campaigns. So, I'm saying that if you're not happy with those directions, I think GNOME may not be the best place for you.

I think it is the best place for him to be, it's just that it's a bigger fight to fight.
I don't think being able to connect to, say Google in addition to OwnCloud in online-accounts is any different from being able to connect to ICQ in addition to Jabber in Empathy, something that's been possible for years.
Likewise, yes, we send status updates to twitter in addition to identi.ca. We send it anywhere it's possible to send as it's fairly automatic to forward things between the different services.

That said, in the past, someone had to do the work to make Jabber better than ICQ.
I think now is a good opportunity to for everyone interested in making something like, say, Gitorious kicking Github's ass in cheer quality to do so.
It is outside the realm and competence of this project though, we are busy solving the problems in our area of a free computing experience as it is.
- Andreas