Re: Blocker bug review ahead of freeze

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 10:39 AM, Dominique Leuenberger a.k.a. Dimstar
<dimstar opensuse org> wrote:

701078  Port NM to BlueZ 5

IMHO, this is very late to happen 'just before RC' (3.9.90 is on Aug 20)
with a full ABI/API freeze.

This did not appear 'just before RC - it has been the plan for a
while. This bug is just on the blocker list because the NM changes
haven't landed yet.

And I don't think NM is even the only piece in the GNOME stack affected;
from a quick glance, I can see at least also:
* GVFS (backend; can probably be disabled).

I don't know the current state for gvfs, but yes, that can be disabled.

* gnokii (seems those Nokia phones just don't die!)
* gnome-phone-manager (mostly obsolete I guess).

These are not part of our modulesets, so we can't really let them
block progress.

And stuff outside of the reach of GNOME:
* PulseAudio (has a bluetooth module)

Pulseaudio has support for Bluez5 in git master; we're hoping to get a
release in time for 3.10. There are some regressions there.

* qemu (bring BT support to VMs)

I don't know anything about bluetooth in qemu. What would that be good for ?

This all would be no issue if the variants could co-exist of course :(

Indeed. But thats a complaint to direct at the upstream bluez
maintainers. We're trying to do the best we can, under the
circumstances.