Re: Blocker bug review ahead of freeze

Quoting Matthias Clasen <matthias clasen gmail com>:

Hey,

the 3.9.90 release is coming up next week - it marks the beginning of
our freezes, so this is a good time to review the blocker bug list
again. After my first post earlier this week, I got some
contributions, so the list is well-populated now.
NetworkManager
------------------------

701078  Port NM to BlueZ 5

IMHO, this is very late to happen 'just before RC' (3.9.90 is on Aug 20) with a full ABI/API freeze.

As of now, distros did not do the switch to BlueZ5 as
* It can not be parallel installed with BlueZ4
* It is not backwards compatible
* So far, only very few components know how to use it

Of course, at one point we will have to bite the bullet... but 'just before RC' for such a drastic change is, in my opinion, not the best way;

And I don't think NM is even the only piece in the GNOME stack affected; from a quick glance, I can see at least also:
* GVFS (backend; can probably be disabled).
* gnokii (seems those Nokia phones just don't die!)
* gnome-phone-manager (mostly obsolete I guess).

And stuff outside of the reach of GNOME:
* PulseAudio (has a bluetooth module)
* qemu (bring BT support to VMs)

This all would be no issue if the variants could co-exist of course :(

Dominique